Summer is the perfect time to take a vacation with your family. The kids are off from school, you have days to take off, and there’s more time to get away for a few days. Amidst packing your swimsuits and planning what adventures you’ll have on your trip, it’s important to also make sure your home is ready for your vacation. Follow this vacation prep checklist to ensure you return to a safe and clean home.
Vacation Prep Checklist:
Make It Look Like Someone is Home
- Set up at least one timed light, so it gives the illusion that someone is home.
- Have your neighbor park in your driveway.
- Have your neighbor or friend collect your mail each day.
- Install motion-sensing lights outside your home to ward off burglars.
Prep the Plumbing & Electric
- Unplug all of your small electronics and appliances so you don’t waste electricity.
- Shut off the main water valve to prevent any leaks or bursts.
- Turn your water heater to “vacation mode.”
Clean Out the Kitchen
- Get rid of any foods that may go bad while your home.
- Sweep and get rid of any crumbs, so you don’t attract bugs and other pests.
- If you’re going on an extended trip, consider unplugging your fridge and leaving the door open.
Handle the HVAC
- Turn up your thermostat so the temperature is closer to what is it outside.
- Check your smoke alarms to ensure they’re working properly.
Make sure your cooling system is working well so you can return to a comfortable home. Air Treatment Company offers air conditioning installation, repairs, and maintenance to keep your home cool all summer long. For more information or to schedule a service, call us at 703-938-0550.