Carbon monoxide is one of the most dangerous gases around for a reason — it’s invisible, odorless, and is usually only detected after it’s begun to affect people. While there are definitely ways to prevent CO leaks and protect yourself from its harmful effects, sometimes it’s not always possible. Since the symptoms are often similar to that of the flu, pay extra attention to what your feeling to help determine if you have carbon monoxide poisoning.
Symptoms of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
This is often the first sign of CO poisoning and can worsen the longer you are exposed to the gas.
Shortness of Breath
Because a foreign gas has entered your bodies, your lungs can have a dangerous reaction to the lack of oxygen.
Many people often confuse this symptom with that of the flu virus or another non-fatal illness.
Carbon monoxide poisoning can often make you feel like you are in a haze and disorientate you.
If you are exposed to carbon monoxide for an extended period of time, it can cause you to pass out and become unconscious. If this happens to you or someone you know, get to a hospital immediately as unconsciousness is not a far trip from fatality.
You’ll Feel Worse in a Certain Location
If you notice you experience these symptoms while you are home but feel normal at work or school, you should have your home inspected for a CO leak.
Carbon monoxide poisoning is especially dangerous to babies, pregnant women, and those with respiratory illnesses, so it’s vital that you keep your home safe from a dangerous gas leak. The best way to do that is by having working carbon monoxide detectors throughout your home and having your gas-powered HVAC system inspected regularly to ensure there aren’t any complications that could a leak.
For help maintaining your gas-powered furnace in Vienna, VA, call the experts at Air Treatment Company. We’ve been serving the Fairfax County community since 1958, making sure Northern Virginia homeowners are always comfortable and safe. For heating and cooling services and water heater services, give us a call at 703-938-0550.