Tomorrow is St. Patrick’s Day! While you won’t find a pot of gold in your home HVAC system, keep these tips in mind to prevent unfortunate breakdowns and costly repairs:
- Change your air filters. About 80% of all HVAC breakdowns could be avoided by simply cleaning or replacing your air filters each month. Dirty air filters limit fresh air intake, leading to increased wear-and-tear and higher energy bills.
- Keep surrounding areas clear. Heating and cooling equipment should have at least three feet of clearance in all directions. If debris is too close to your A/C condenser, it cannot sufficiently release heat. If debris is too close to your furnace, it could catch fire.
- Test your carbon monoxide alarm. Carbon monoxide is a toxic gas that is produced by most heating equipment. Since it is odorless and colorless, the only way to detect carbon monoxide is with an electronic sensor. Test the batteries in your sensor once a month to keep your family safe.
- Schedule a tune up. During an HVAC tune up, a professional technician will clean and inspect the various components of your heating/cooling system. This can help prevent breakdowns, lower your energy bills, and extend the lifespan of your equipment.
- Refer to your owner’s manual. Depending on the make and model of your HVAC system, additional preventative maintenance may be required to keep it running at peak capacity. Refer to your owner’s manual for instructions specific to your model.
If you live in Fairfax County VA, look no further than the Air Treatment Company for all of your home heating and cooling needs. We offer professional HVAC repairs, installations, tune up services, and more. Contact us online to schedule your service, or call (703) 938-0550.